Higher well-being is the outcome of a culture of great choices that create lives well-lived and careers that matter. Gallup's research shows that employees thriving in all five elements of well-being:
- are 43% more likely to volunteer
- are 36% more likely to report a full recovery after an illness, injury, or hardship
- are more than twice as likely to say they always adapt well to change
- miss 41% less work as a result of poor health
- are 81% less likely to seek out a new employer in the next year
Organizations have tried to achieve higher employee well-being through corporate wellness programs, but these programs miss the mark on how to actually improve well-being and create impact. Gallup research shows that 60% of U.S. employees who work for companies with a wellness program know that the program exists, and only 40% of those who are aware of the program say they actually participate in it -- that's just 24% of employees participating. More importantly, of the employees participating in a company-sponsored wellness program, only 12% strongly agree that they have substantially higher overall well-being because of their employer. In fact, most employees see their job as a negative contributor to their overall well-being.
Most companies need to re-engineer their wellness programs. Unless well-being programs consider employees' minds, bodies and souls, they will fail. Gallup, in partnership with Healthways, has created a complete organizational well-being program that drives results by considering the ways employees live their lives, and in turn, perform at work. We define well-being in terms of five interrelated and interdependent elements: purpose, social, financial, community and physical. By focusing on these elements, Gallup can create a culture of well-being in your organization that enriches both your employees' lives and your business performance.
- The Well-Being 5: Development and Validation of a Diagnostic Instrument to Improve Population Well-Being
- Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index: State of Global Well-Being
- Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index: State of American Well-Being
- Why Your Workplace Wellness Program Isn't Working
- What Your Workplace Wellness Programs Are Missing
- Lower Your Health Costs While Boosting Performance
- Memo to Executives: Well-Being Boosts Employee Engagement